Thursday, January 25, 2007

Junk

Junk seems to come into this house at a significantly faster rate than I am able to get rid of it. I think it is because there are 4 people bringing it in, and only 1 person taking it out. This imbalance creates a situation where every available space is seen as potential "storage" for goods that may be put to good use someday..... Now, this past summer, I actually felt I had a good handle on our junk, doing a major purge of our closets and basement, ridding us of all property that had been unused for 5 years. Two weeks ago, I got rid of the last stack of curtain rods and mini blinds from windows that had been replaced a decade ago. It took me an entire day to find a place to take them, load them up, and drop them off. What a great feeling it was to see empty space in the garage. I put the bright red particle board toy bins out by the street with a "free" sign on them. Lo and behold, the next day, they had found a new home. Feeling even more optimistic, I set out other items, among them, a red plastic framed poster of children that read, "children love the world, children love eachother". This had hung in Jen's room since she was a baby, a symbol of the goodness in the world, I suppose, that moms want their kids to grow up with. The next day, to my delight, it was gone! Walking by, I saw visions of maybe a teacher from the school hanging it in the classroom, or maybe our neighbor hanging it in their child's bedroom. I knew it had found a good home where it would continue to spread love and joy. Yesterday, Ray came into the house chuckling. He had traded cars with Jen, and in the back seat was the childhood poster! It reminded me of when she was 4 and I had set Ray's old office chair by the street for pick-up. Watching through the window, I could see Jen pushing it up the driveway and hiding it in the garage.

I look at the pile of redwood beams in the basement, stacked below boxes of leftover hardwood flooring. There is a roll of old kitchen vinyl flooring sitting next to our plastic sled and metal saucer. Behind that is a roll of tar paper and a large box of internet cable, all waiting to be used someday....

This week, we acquired 4 file cabinets, 2 bookcases, 2 desks, a fax machine, and a microwave, all from Ray's office. Do we really need them? Not really, but the kids might someday......Ray brought in office goods, Jen brought in CD's from a neighbor's garage sale, Robert brought in auto cleaning supplies, and me-- well, I am slowly moving stuff out, trying to at least create equilibrium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home